Monday, September 10, 2012

Takko Lacquer Swatches

I haven't really made my way into the Indie polish scene, yet. There are a few labels out there that I really like and eventually want to snag a bottle or two, but it's still relatively new territory for me.

Several weeks ago, I saw a post by Rie (Nails and Noms) on an Indie brand called Takko Lacquer. The entire collection grabbed my attention, immediately! Every polish is gorgeous and totally stands out compared to most Indie collections that are loaded with different types of chunky glitter. These seemed more grown up and sophisticated. When I checked out the Etsy shop for Takko Lacquer, everything was sold out & I contacted the owner/designer, Sheryl. She let me know about a future restock, and I was able to purchase two bottles the next week.

 
Takko Lacquer - Kiss the Sky (with top coat)
 
Kiss the Sky is an amazing indigo (Sheryl dubbed it "Blurple" a.k.a. blue/purple) jelly with a fiery pink copper shimmer that shifts to green in certain lighting. I kinda feel like it is a modern twist on Max Factor Fantasy Fire and Clarins 230 (unicorn pee). I don't own either to do a comparison, but it has that same glowy shimmer.


 
For a jelly, it has a wonderful formula, full coverage in 2 coats. Yes, 2. The pigment is a bit on the clumpy side, and you really need to give the bottle a good shake before application, it even says "shake, rattle & roll" on the bottom label.




It also dries to a satin/matte finish. You definitely need a shiny top coat to get the full effect of that amazing shimmer.


 
Takko Lacquer - Kaleidoscope Eyes

Kaleidoscope Eyes is a blue/purple duo chrome with a scatter holo. The holo is subtle and peaks out at different angles. I actually prefer this to some other scatter holo finishes. Everything seems to work together, effortlessly. The duo chrome shift doesn't over play the holo and vise verse. The effect is really stunning. Especially outside!




Again, 2 coats for full coverage, perfect formula, & dries quickly. The only issue I had with this one was the brush. It was long, fluffy & held too much polish, which could be rather tricky to work with if you don't take your time. But I do think it was a fluke. The brush for Kiss the Sky was great, and I haven't read about anyone else having brush issues.

 
 
Direct sunlight


I am so happy with these two polishes and I really want to grab a few more from the initial collection before Sheryl discontinues them. How ever, they go ridiculously fast. She restocks every Friday afternoon around 1pm eastern and usually sells out within the hour. I had to be on the ball to grab these two, last week!

They are also a bit on the pricey side. Kiss the Sky and Kaleidoscope Eyes are both $15, and the others run between $12-$15. That being said, I don't mind for several reasons: they are independently produced & as a person who deals with the hand made market place (I have a small hand made biz, myself) I understand the higher price point; and Sheryl uses vegan friendly products as well as USA manufactured products. I am 100% behind that level of commitment and quality standards!

I am really glad I took the chance with an Indie brand. I have two amazing polishes to add to my stash and that is always a good thing!

Takko Lacquer is available on line through Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! I'd love for you to leave a comment or ask a question.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...